Translate

Monday, March 12, 2012

~United We Stand~

You're a Roman soldier going into battle with your sword, shield, and body armor.  As the enemy surges forward, you and your fellow soldiers push through them expertly wielding your shields and razor-sharp swords. As the battle rages on, however, you find yourself separated from your comrades and growing short-of-breath and weary.  You are surrounded by the enemy, and even though your sword is sharp and your shield is sturdy, you could really use someone to watch your back.  Finally, you spy a small group of your fellow soldiers and work your way over to them.  Together, backs in the center and shields held outward, radiating like the spokes of a bicycle wheel, each of you finds the battle a little easier - a little less strenuous.  You're watching each other's backs; you can each breath a little easier.


Now, picture yourself wearing the Full Armor of God as in Ephesians 6:14-17.  Your head is protected with the Helmet of Salvation.  You're wearing the Breastplate of Righteousness, the Belt of Truth about your waist, wielding the Sword of the Spirit and the Shield of Faith, and last, but not least your feet are protected with the Gospel of Peace.  Lately, though, you've been crazy busy and just want to sleep in on Sunday mornings.  You don't have much free time, so you're not in a Bible study right now, either.  Well, guess what?  You're a Christian in a spiritual battle, and you've just separated yourself from your comrades.  There's no one there to "watch your back," to come together with you to pray with you, and to worship God with you.  You're alone, and the enemy is unrelenting.  You need to meet with other believers regularly, so you do not have to fight this battle alone.


Unfortunately, I tend to isolate myself from other believers a lot.  After a while, I can really feel the difference.  God wants us to meet together with other believers to encourage each other:  Hebrews 10:25 says, "not staying away from our worship meetings, as some habitually do, but encouraging each other,and all the more as you see the day drawing near."*


After missing a lot of church services since last summer, I've finally gone to the last two in row.  Sad, but true!  Now, I'm just feeling a sense of relief at not keeping myself isolated, plus I really enjoy the music and worship time!


Please don't keep yourself isolated for your sake!  And, if you feel so inclined, you can keep praying that I won't isolate myself either, anymore.  I'd more than appreciate your prayers to God on my behalf for this.  Now go fight the good fight with someone to watch your back. ;o)


*http://www.biblegateway.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment