I've never considered myself a morning person. After all, my mom enrolled me in afternoon kindergarten, because it wasn't easy getting me up in the morning. This spring, however, my menopausal body has decided it will no longer sleep past 5 am - 6 am every morning. Wow. That's not easy, when one is more of a night owl.
Well, since I no longer have the luxury of sleeping a little later in the morning, I'm up with the birds. :o) One thing I do enjoy about mornings lately is having my coffee on the back patio with my dog, Gilligan. (He came with that name - different story.) No, Gilly doesn't actually drink coffee, but he loves it when I go out on the back patio to drink mine. I watch him run around happily playing and greeting the morning, while I sit on the porch swing with my coffee. We both love the bird song as they lift their praises to our Creator, while the sun stretches up into the morning sky. Then, our little roosters crow.
Yes, in our neighborhood, we have little quail roosters. They are totally adorable and not loud and obnoxious-sounding like chicken roosters. They greet each morning with their sweet, little "crows" and tell their families, "It's time to get up!" I am so very fond of our neighborhood quail. I've enjoyed them for the 28 years we've lived here. Quail have always fascinated me a bit, because they can fly, but they usually choose not to. When leaving home and driving somewhere, a flock will, occasionally, be running across the street before me. As I approach in my vehicle, they run faster and faster stretching out their little necks ahead of them like that will help them run faster. I'm laughing right now thinking about it! Sometimes, I'll actually say out loud, "Fly! Fly! You have wings! Just fly!" No, they run quickly across the road. Once in a while, one of the flock will actually open its wings and fly the few remaining feet to the sidewalk, but, mostly, they just run.
The quail got me to thinking: How many times in life are we just like the quail? We "have wings". We can "fly," but we choose not to. Instead, we just run like crazy through a situation or a trial. Hmmm.....
Well, since I no longer have the luxury of sleeping a little later in the morning, I'm up with the birds. :o) One thing I do enjoy about mornings lately is having my coffee on the back patio with my dog, Gilligan. (He came with that name - different story.) No, Gilly doesn't actually drink coffee, but he loves it when I go out on the back patio to drink mine. I watch him run around happily playing and greeting the morning, while I sit on the porch swing with my coffee. We both love the bird song as they lift their praises to our Creator, while the sun stretches up into the morning sky. Then, our little roosters crow.
Yes, in our neighborhood, we have little quail roosters. They are totally adorable and not loud and obnoxious-sounding like chicken roosters. They greet each morning with their sweet, little "crows" and tell their families, "It's time to get up!" I am so very fond of our neighborhood quail. I've enjoyed them for the 28 years we've lived here. Quail have always fascinated me a bit, because they can fly, but they usually choose not to. When leaving home and driving somewhere, a flock will, occasionally, be running across the street before me. As I approach in my vehicle, they run faster and faster stretching out their little necks ahead of them like that will help them run faster. I'm laughing right now thinking about it! Sometimes, I'll actually say out loud, "Fly! Fly! You have wings! Just fly!" No, they run quickly across the road. Once in a while, one of the flock will actually open its wings and fly the few remaining feet to the sidewalk, but, mostly, they just run.
The quail got me to thinking: How many times in life are we just like the quail? We "have wings". We can "fly," but we choose not to. Instead, we just run like crazy through a situation or a trial. Hmmm.....

No comments:
Post a Comment